Thursday, January 30, 2014

MY PLANT, THE BRISTLECONE PINE (PINUS LONGAEVA)


I have always been very fascinated with these ancient trees ever since I was a kid and my dad took me and my sister out adventuring in the white mountains of California. He made us hike all over the extremely hot, high elevation mountains to find the oldest tree in the world. Bristlecone Pines or Pinus longaeva are really strange twisted up trees that can only be found in few western states of America. The oldest tree ever recorded was a Bristlecone Pine in the White Mountains in California. My father to this day swears that we were close to finding it. 


Photo By: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/bristlecone-pine--i-am-not-part-of-history--history-is-part-of-me-christine-till--ct-graphics.html
Kingdom:Plantae
Division:Pinophyta
Class:Pinopsida
Order:Pinales
Family:Pinaceae
Genus:Pinus
Subgenus:Ducampopinus
Species:P. longaeva
It was named by D.K. Bailey in 1970

No comments:

Post a Comment